Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Where I Began

by Aaron Tate

The grass looked greener on the other side
So I tried to snatch myself from your hand
Caught a boat to anywhere but Nineveh
And you know, I got spit back on dry land

Give me purity and give me continence
But oh no, not yet
Like a coin hiding in the corner trying not to be swept
I was trying not to be swept

Kicking against these goads
Sure did cut up my feet
Didn't your hands get bloody
As you washed them clean?

Here I am again, back where I began
Try as I may, I can't get away from you
All these roads that lead me to roam
Bring me back home
Here I am again, back where I began

So you have yourself your ninety-nine
Isn't that enough for you?
Still you followed me to the shadowed valley
Carried me on your shoulders, too

I've done the work of Sisyphus
Thinking that I could get over this hill
But the one thing I can't get over now
Is the force of your will

0 comments: