Wednesday, June 23, 2010

What I Thought I Wanted

by Sara Groves

Tuxedo in the closet
Gold band in a box
Two days from the altar
She went and called the whole thing off
What he thought he wanted
What he got instead
Leaves him broken and grateful

I passed understanding
A long, long time ago
And the simple home of systems
And answers we all know
What I thought I wanted
What I got instead
Leaves me broken, somehow peaceful

I keep wanting you to be fair
But that's not what you said
I want certain answers to these prayers
But that's not what you said

When I get to heaven
I want to go find Job
I want to ask a few hard questions
I want to know what he knows
About what it is he wanted
And what he got instead
How to be broken and faithful

Staring in the water
Like Aesop's foolish dog
I can't help but reflect on
What it was I almost lost
What it was I wanted
What I got instead
Leaves me broken and grateful

0 comments: