Thursday, July 4, 2013

Red & White & Blue & Gold

by Aoife O'Donovan

Red and white and blue and gold
I want to wait for the water to touch my toes
On the beach the Fourth of July
I want to wait for the fire to burn my eyes

Come on, sit next to me
Bury my feet
Bury my feet in the sand
There's a hole
That is twelve miles deep
I dug it with my hands

Come on, lie next to me
I'll sing you to sleep
I'll sing you to sleep
There's a band on the boardwalk
You're tapping your feet
But I'm too drunk to dance

Black and blue all along my face
I want to follow you home
I want to see your place
Want to take you in my arms
And float down a river with you
I want to buy the farm

Come on, let's run away
Baby, let's go
Let's go
There's a southbound train
Pulling out at nine
Leave this jukebox joint behind

Come on, let's have one more
I don't want to go
I'm not ready to go
I'm scared of the way
That my heart gets sore
Wondering if you're mine

Come on, let's jump in
The water's cold
It's going to be cold
But the feeling I get
When you touch my skin
It makes me bold

Come on, let's kiss
In the July sun
'Neath the July sky
The feeling I get
When you pass me by

Red and white and blue and gold
I want to wait for the water to touch my toes
On the beach it's the Fourth of July
I want to wait for the fire to burn my eyes

0 comments: